Friday 11 May 2012

Press round up.

With our second weekend fast approaching, I thought it might be helpful to have a small round up of all the press our little play has so far received. If you have any undecided friends or colleagues, why not share this post with them so that they can see for themselves if I Have Never Cared For Sunsets is the sort of puppet show they're after this weekend?

Press I wrote myself

At Fringe Review, we have '10 Questions: An interview with the Garyhaus Players'.

The Whats on Stage site features 'Five reasons to see . . .  I Have Never Cared For Sunsets'.

Reviews by other people

Our first review was by a lovely fellow at Fringe Guru, who gave us FOUR stars (out of five! goodness!) He enjoyed our 'whimsical, very likeable, puppets' (the puppets are so proud!) and had 'an hour full of laughs'. Final words? 'If ridiculous humour and puppetry appeal to you, then you won’t want to miss I Have Never Cared for Sunsets at this year’s Brighton Fringe.'

Our second review was less flattering. For the man at the Argus, the highlight of the show was the bench collapsing underneath 3 audience members (this WON'T happen again, we promise, benches have been reinforced!). He thought the show required too much background knowledge, didn't like the 'constant references to potatoes and leeches' (I'm not sure what he has against potatoes and leeches), and thought the whole thing had 'the distinct air of an end-of-term revue by the local philosophy club'. If you like the idea of an end-of-term revue by the local philosophy club, you know where to go.

And finally, some feedback from our wonderful audience. A very hungover lady on twitter said she thought she'd fall asleep, but 'instead laughed out my nose the whole time'. Another woman approached some Players in a theatre and said she loved it. My mother also claimed to love it. One friend said she'd been practising her fake enthusiasm but didn't need to use it. Another said, 'yeah, it's ok'. One man googled Karl Popper after the show (successfully spreading the word of Popper!). Another man believed he had learnt something about science (I would not recommend I Have Never Cared For Sunsets as an educational tool, I believe there are books on science and whatnot that would be far more accurate. Also, the BBC have produced a somewhat historically inaccurate but pleasing account of the eclipse expedition which helped confirm relativity theory. It stars David Tennant and Andy Serkis. Also, Jim Broadbent plays Oliver Lodge, my favourite olden times scientist of all time, mainly because everybody was talking about him in the 1920s and nobody's talking about him now, and he just wanted to use the aether to communicate with his dead son. Anyway, I believe it is available on DVD. There are also a number of academic articles on the subject but, like all academic articles, they're rather boring.)

Review by me

I am pleased! I think you should come! Here's a photo I took with my phone  -


Finally, I should point out that while the Fringe Brochure lists the event as 75 minutes long, it's actually only 45 (this is what happens when you leave a known jazz enthusiast in charge of admin).

No comments:

Post a Comment