Wednesday 14 March 2012

An interview.

What's this 'sunset' play all about then?
Good question. I should begin by making it clear it's not about sunsets.

I was really hoping it would be about sunsets.
You're a sunset fan, I take it?

Not so much a fan, no. In fact, the very opposite. I myself have never cared for sunsets.
That's the name of the play!

A misleading name.
Well, the line 'I have never cared for sunsets' does feature in the play itself. It is spoken by one of the characters.

Really? So there's a fellow in the play who doesn't care for sunsets? Much like how I don't care for sunsets?
Yes.

In that case, I shall buy myself a ticket right now!
Brilliant!

I'm very much looking forward to watching this play about a man who doesn't like sunsets.
Ah, I think I may have accidentally misled you again. That's not really what the play is about. There is a man in it who, at one point, says that he doesn't like sunsets, but it's not fundamental to the play. It's not even fundamental to his character. It's a bit of a throw-away line.

You have lost yourself a customer. Good day, sir.
Good day.

1 comment:

  1. I like the use of, what can only be described as, 'liminal' advertising hidden away within the otherwise objective interview, only to be reversed at the end.

    ReplyDelete